Friday, April 22, 2005

What's next for me? Men's highheels?

Welcome the dawn of the age of The Man Purse. I will give just two more years before men everywhere realize the necessity of a stylish accessory to store all of their gadgets. Enter the man purse. It’s starting to catch on. I am just about to flag down the Band Wagon myself. Really! My pockets are bursting. I stuff them everyday with keys, cell phone, digital voice recorder, pack of gum, Chapstick, change and a pair of nail clippers. I feel like Winona Ryder in a department store! Men were once able to just throw on a pair of cargo pants for added storage but even that is not enough theses days. And you really can’t get away with that look at a power lunch with your boss and a couple of clients.

So here I am at a crossroads. One direction is a step toward the effeminate looking, yet vogue, Man Purse and the other is the one I’m on now. Do I continue to stuff my pockets until I look like I’m wearing saddle bags or do I start shopping for a purse?

I believe that I’ve come across a more doable option for me; a backpack. It is more of a transitional move until the Man Purse movement catches on. I know it’s gutless. I see it as the equivalent to getting a toupee. You hide on the fringes until you can’t hide any more, then one day you just show up bald. I’m sure one day I’ll just show up with a Man Purse. You really still can’t get away with bringing a backpack to a power lunch, but I don’t do power lunches. A power lunch for me would be drive-through, so it’s not an issue for me. I’m just solving my own dilemma right now. The other gutless men of the world will have to deal with their own insecurities.

No comments: