Monday, September 26, 2005

Don't push your religion on me!

Why does Christianity offend the world? Why does the Gospel rub people the wrong way?

When a proud sinner is confronted with their sin through the 10 commandments a battle is started in their heart and mind. Their conscience is convicting them of their sin while their mind is fighting to hold on to the belief that they are a "good" person. What results is anger. You've heard the saying, "Don't shoot the messenger for the message"? Well, this is what is happening. A proud sinner will lash out at the one who brought the message.

"Don't push your religion on me!" Have you heard this? It's the messenger being "shot". It is also proof that that person is being worked over by their conscience. Why else would they respond so harshly? You won't see the same response if someone stood up in the town square declaring the sky to be red and to repent of our notions of a blue sky. "Repent, blue sky believers!" No, you aren't going to hear anyone say, "Don't push your red sky belief on me!" You won't because that message doesn't convict the hearers' conscience. People would regard it as foolishness and not give it a second thought. But those who are being confronted by their sin are bothered, those who aren't don't give it a second thought because it is foolishness to them.

This brings me to the other question, "Why does the gospel rub people the wrong way?" Check out 1 Cor 1:18....

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
A man dying on the cross for me? That is silly. Tell a sinner that before they are convinced of their sin and you've just turned the gospel message into just an ordinary event in history. It takes seeing that one is a sinner before hell and the cross make sense. For ways to biblically witness to someone go to The Way of the Master.

2 comments:

Chris Etling said...

You know it is really sad that today's society has gotten to this. I think the other thing we run into is that all you hear on the news is separation of church and state. Which means that "they have an argument". But in reality they don't. I believe this is the way that God is "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." To me this says that He will blind the wise. So I see the "wise" being frustrated by hearing the truth. Wouldn't you agree?

Eric said...

I would agree. Worldly wisdom puts the focus on YOU and how much knowledge YOU have gained. God opposes the YOUs of this world. See James 4:6